HAPPYNESS

So tonight my sister, my best friend Danielle, my mom and myself went to the movies to see "The Pursuit of Happyness" starring Will Smith and his son. We had a lovely dinner beforehand at a great restaurant near the theater. We were cutting it close time-wise, and figured we were going to miss all the previews but didn't care so much. It's a pretty small theater so there was a good sized line at the snack counter. We were so full from the dinner but wanted some water so Danielle and I waited in the snack line while my mom and Brynne went to grab us some seats. There were two high school aged kids working there and they were as slow as molasses. I'm not sure if it's from living in New York City that has made me impatient but these guys were SLO-OOOW. (by the way I can't stand people who pay with their credits cards for snacks- I understand the tickets maybe, but $14.75 in popcorn candy and soda with a credit card!!?? HIT THE ATM!!) After getting our waters we meandered through the halls which were crowded with middle school kids and found the door to our movie. The movie had already started, and it was past the credits. Danielle and I found my mom and Brynne seated in the second row and there were two seats next to them. I looked next to them and saw a bunch of scattered open seats but most were filled with middle school kids who couldn't sit still. Great. As I started to sit in the seat(my mom had the aisle, then Brynne, then Danielle sat next to Brynne) a middle school kid motioned with his hand over the seat and said out loud "aww no, no, no"... he was obviously upset that I was going to sit there. I said back to him "sorry, I'd like to sit with my family". Then he turned to his friends (both young girls and guys) next to him and repeated loudly what I said, and then they all started to laugh and would not shut up for the next few minutes. My mom, who was seated the furthest away leaned forward with a loud "SHHHHH". She beat me to it because I was about to say it myself. These kids were out of control... So, then, the girl behind me is consistently kicking my chair with her feet.. I turned around and said "can you please stop kicking my chair, you can kick this one," and I pointed to the open seat next to me(the asshole kid had moved at that point). Then two girls at the end of my row jumped over the seats to the row behind me, shoving and pushing my and Danielle's chairs forward rather harshly. I turned around and said to them "are you guys kidding?". She laughed and smiled this huge mouth full of silver braces and said "I'm sorry". I said "yeah, you really seem like you're sorry". Then her friend asked her what I said and I turned around again and said "I SAID YOU REALLY SEEM LIKE YOURE SORRY". Maybe it's my pregnancy hormones or maybe I am just becoming more sensitive when kids are acting ignorant, I don't know. But I felt no regrets for telling it like it was and they seemed to shut up at least a little bit after that. Except they took every scene with loud music as their opportunity to start talking again. I tried hard to think back at being their age, when the boys we went to the movie with and the social aspect was definitely more important than the movie itself, but I know for certain we were never that ignorant and unaware of others. Anyway, in spite of all that, it was a good movie and Will Smith gave a great performance. And I am happy...

2 Comments:
nice picture! haha!
those kids are lacking what they call discipline, it's a new thing to kids these days.... : )
hope you two are well and i will see you in a few days! ; )
You have more self-control and patience than I would have. I don't even have any pregnancy hormones, and I wouldn't have hesitated either threatening to get them kicked out or to dump my jumbo 2 liter soda in their pants...with extra ice.
Post a Comment
<< Home